Pages

Friday, January 5, 2018

Time For Tea - mini sketchbook journal final sketches

My Time For Tea mini (4.5" x 5.5") sketchbook journal is completely filled with sketches. The final four sketches are pictured below. This book was one of the first books I made while teaching myself to book bind. I should mention that I'm continuing to practice book binding. It's an ongoing and inspiring new practice for me. To read about the start of my book binding journey, please click here. To see the sketches from my previous blog posts, please click here.

This sketch was quickly made one night using acrylic paint and paper from magazines. I've never been comfortable using complementary colors or specifically, split complementary colors - purple, yellow and orange. It seems a bit jarring visually to me but I want to continue to use these types of color combinations to expand my use of different color palettes.



Another quick sketch using split complementary colors. To me, these colors aren't as jarring visually as the sketch above. I'm happy with the use of red color pencil that I scribbled over the second layer of acrylic paint.The acid green elements are torn monoprinted deli papers. Love the transparency effect. The last layer is white acrylic used as a veil.



I used leftover acrylic paint for this sketch. Again using color pencil to add another element. All in all I'm happy with the way this sketch turned out.



I started this sketch by applying a light wash of white acrylic paint over the watercolor that was on the paper. Then I stared at the white page for quite some time. I couldn't think of a sketch idea that used acrylic paint. It was getting late so I grabbed 3 pieces of paper from a magazine and glued them down then used a lavender Sharpie to draw the surrounding dots. This sketch is in my comfort zone of simple, abstract collages.


This collage above is the last sketch in this sketchbook journal. It's been a fantastic learning experience working in one sketchbook journal over 6 weeks. Restricting myself to create in a small (4.5" x 5.5") size was a challenge some days and other times a relief. Also, the watercolor paper limited the amount of layers of paint I could apply. I need to decide if I'm going to start working in one or multiple sketchbook journals next.


Thanks for checking out my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment