Monday, August 16, 2021

New collage art journal (4"x6") and new collages

I decided to add another collage art journal to my stash. This one is 4"x6" bound with Coptic stitch with orange thread. The inside and outside is covered with paper that I monoprinted. It's nice to have art journals in different sizes. There are times that a smaller art journal is more manageable to create in than the 7"x9.5" art journal.


 Here are the first collages I made in this art journal.


Thanks for checking out my blog!

Monday, August 2, 2021


This is my new Commonplace Journal. My current one is almost filled so I wanted to have another one ready to use. I have a flip through video on my YouTube channel. Click on the orange YouTube badge on the right side of my blog to go to my channel.

Thanks for checking out my blog!

Friday, June 25, 2021

New collages in my collage art journal

I first posted about this art journal here. Other collages are posted here.

The two large fuchsia pieces in this collage are used bleeding tissue papers. I have a large tuberware of full of these papers that I used to mark blank papers for journals. It's time that I start using these papers in my collages.

There are two layers of blue used bleeding tissue papers in this collage. Even though one layer showed the beautiful variation of blues, there wasn't enough contrast against the other papers.

I challenged myself by limiting my color palette to green and orange. The bright green is used bleeding tissue paper. The dark forest green reads almost black in this photo. The deep contrast in color variations help to balance this simple collage.


The used bleeding tissue paper is in the upper right corner.


Another challenge for myself. I tried to use a group of paper scraps that I blindly grabbed from a bin. The used bleeding tissue paper is in the lower left corner.


Thanks for checking out my blog!

Monday, June 14, 2021

New collages in my collage art journal

I first posted about this art journal here.

This collage reminds me of a textile design.


I stepped outside my usual saturated color palette for this collage. Just a hint of yellow.


New collage. The large green and mustard yellow paper was created by wiping off excess paint from a brayer while printing. I have used small sections of this paper for other collages and in the upper right area. I love the texture and pattern of this remaining section, so I decided to use it as a large focal point.


This collage is in my comfort zone with the cool tone colors and a mix of scribbles papers and security envelope text.

Thanks for checking out my blog!

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

New quotes/artwork in Soft Cover (Quote) Art Journal

I previously wrote about this art journal here, here and here.

Here are the new quotes/artwork in my Soft Cover (Quote) Art Journal.

This is more of a greeting than a quote. Since March 20th of 2020, the majority of my work emails that I send or receive have this greeting or a variation of it. Most of my work colleagues are telecommuting, it's a way we are connecting with each other.

I used the Uni Posca Paint Marker PC-1M White - Extra Fine Pint that in the JetPens white ink pen sample that I brought in March. I haven't used this size nib before from Uni Posca. It worked great. I'm not too surprised since this brand makes dependable pens.


Another favorite quote.


This quote is a good reminder. To be honest, I could fill this whole art journal with quotes from Corita Kent.

 This quote is stenciled on a wall outside a school near where I live. Perfect location.


Thanks for checking out my blog!

Saturday, May 29, 2021

New collage art journal and new collages

I finished creating in my last art journal here. This is an art journal that I had in my collection. I made it some time ago when I wanted to practice the Coptic stitch. It isn't fancy or cute or (fill in the blank). It's functional. The 7 inches x 9.5 inches portrait orientation substrate is a discarded book cover with decorative duct tape. There's 7 signatures of 80lb drawing paper. Each signature has 3 folios. I'm gradually crating in larger art journals, which pushes me creatively. The last journal was 7 inches x8.5 inches landscape orientation.


This is the first collage created in my new art journal. It was fun and a bit challenging to create in this new size and format. It has a combination of artist made papers, altered papers and commercially printed papers. Creating


Creating this collage was outside my comfort zone. Multiple layers of torn papers, if not done thoughtfully, can be a mess. This is why I like creating in an art journal. It gives me permission to play.

I usually don't title my collages that reside in an art journal. If I did give this one a title, it would be "Kitchen Sink". 😉


Another multiple layered collage. Practice, practice, practice.

 Fun, off center collage.

Thanks for checking out my blog!