Pages

Saturday, November 7, 2020

New collage art journal and new collages

I completed all the pages in my last collage art journal in October. I decided to challenge myself to create in a larger art journal. This challenge changed the practice of creating collages. The new art journal is 7 inches x 8.5 inches and the finished collages are 7 inches x 7.5 inches. This larger size made it unlikely that I could start and finish a collage on my lunch time, which is 30 minutes, when I work from home. The first collage was made before work since I wanted to time myself. It took me 45 minutes to complete. This outcome made the decision for me to create this collages without a time constraint. It's good to change up a practice so it won't get stale and to further challenge the art form.

This short video shows the completed journal and the first collage. I'm planning on making a tutorial video of this binding method. It's relatively simple but uses a lot of binding thread.


 These are the completed collages made in this new art journal:



 

I wasn't sure if I liked the orientation of this collage - vertically or horizontally. For me, it helps to take a photography and look at it awhile. I gravitating towards the horizontal orientation.



After I photographed this next collage, it looked unfinished to me. I'm not sure what to do to it so it feels finished. I'm going to leave it as is for the time being.


This messy, mixed media collage represents this messy week at my day job and with the U.S. election. this piece started as a way to express my frustration with handling the registration of all the vehicles at work then morphed into my frustration with the election. At this posting, I"m still frustrated at both but it does help to express this feeling in my art. I included two WIP photos so you can see how this collage developed.


WIP #2

WIP #1

 

Thanks for checking out my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment