Pages

Friday, November 16, 2018

New Journal - Coptic and Long Stitch with tabs

In my continuing exploration of bookmaking, I wanted to try my hand at adding tabs to the spine of the book. The tabs add a nice detail to the look of the stitching and design of the book. This book measuring 5.5"x8.5"x1" using Coptic and Long stitches sewn with waxed linen thread.

Sorry for not taking process photos of the building of this book. I hope my explanation and finished photos is helpful.

I gathered odds and ends supplies that I have on hand. I covered two 5.5"x8.5" board that was attached to pads of paper with black fabric (inside cover) and abstract painted canvas (outside cover). Cut up unstretched, primed canvas into nine 11"x8.5" pieces to use as the signatures. I decided to paint the primed side of the canvas signatures. The book will have an exposed spine so it will be a nice detail to have colorful spine of the signatures showing. The two 1"x4" tabs were cut from the same abstract painted canvas used for the outside covers.  

I'm happy with the way this book turned out. It has a nice weight to it due to the board covers and canvas. Also, the book lays nice and flat due to using Coptic and Long stitches.




front cover

back cover



 Thanks for checking out my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment