Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

2 sided woven painted artwork #1

I recently visited two paper/fiber exhibits that really inspired me "Paperwork" at Craft and Folk Art Museum and "Fiberlicious" at Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery. There was some of the same artists in both exhibits. One artist of these artists was Lorenzo Hurtago Segovia. His 2 sided woven painted pieces really resonated with me. I decided to try to create artwork inspired by his but not copying it.

I started by putting 2-sided painted piece through the paper shredder. The paper got jammed in the shredder. The tip is to line up the paper at the top of the shredder before turning it on. Initially, I turned on the shredder then put the paper in. So, the second 2-sided painted paper (bronze/yellow/rust on 1 side and green on the other) shredded perfectly. I had a second painted paper that was only painted on one side with a solid grey. I decided to shred it to see how it would look with the 2-sided painted piece.  

I used blue painters tape to secure the 2-sided painted paper to the grid cutting mat horizontally (warp). Then I lighted applied matte medium to the 1-sided grey painted paper strips as I woven them vertically (weft) starting from the left side. The matte medium helped to keep the grey strips in place.

After I finished weaving all the strips, I machine stitched around the edges to secure the piece. Then trimmed the edges. You can see a brief look at the opposite side the piece.


The green and white side seemed a bit plain. I loosely cut out a stencil with elliptical shape. First, I stenciled a light grey then offset the stencil before adding a darker grey.


The random shapes gives some interest to this side of the artwork.
 

This is the other side finished.
 

I really liked way this project turned out. I wasn't able to weave the weft pieces right up against the warp but I like the way it looks with some space inbetween. My mind is thinking of other woven pieces. To be continued...


Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooo wheeee! I like this a lot. Your weaving is meticulous and the colors interact famously. Additing the elliptical shapes with the offset "shadow" bring that side of the work to life. I'll be anxious to see more weavings which you say you have in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Linda! I didn't know I had the patience to weave this type of artwork. I'm finishing up an unpainted weaving that I will paint/dye/mark up somehow. I'll blog about it when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete