Collage #40 was developed over time...days. I wanted to really look at each step to see if the collage needed more layers of paint or paper. Here is the final Collage #40:
|Final Collage #40|
The steps leading up to the final collage show how some of the missteps along the way. I started by adhering 3 pieces of distressed bleeding tissue paper onto the journal page using a matte medium.
I wanted to push myself to add layers using unrelated papers. I cut out the area of the paper bag were the sides are glued together. I liked the serrated edge and the thickness of the paper bag.
Instead of adding more paper elements to the white areas, I decided to paint a wash of green and white. Overlapping the brush strokes onto the collage papers. The collage stayed at this point for 2 days so, I could figure out the next step.
I decided that the green and white painted areas were a bit of a misstep. By introducing the large circles cut from pages in a book, I covered up the misstep and added another layered element to the collage. After this step, I stopped again to live with the collage for a few days.
The circles made from pages in a book and the strip from the paper bag seemed a bit disjointed from the rest of the collage. I decided to add orange tissue paper shapes to tie all the elements together. After this step, I noticed that the matte medium was leaving a cloudy film over the collage that I didn't like. Oops! Another misstep. I brushed on a thin coat of soft gel gloss over the whole piece. It helped to tone down the matte look. Now I'm much happier with the final collage.
|Collage #40 with matte medium|
|Collage #40 with soft gel gloss|