Sunday, May 22, 2016

I have an idea...

I have an idea for a large scale project that where the middle section protrudes outward from a frame. Instead of diving right in like I usually do, I decided to create a smaller (6" x 8") version to work out any potential problems. 





I don't have many process photos for this project. I'll try to describe it as best as I can. I started by using the back side of a 6" x 8" canvas, 9 fabric covered heavy Pellon and blue painter's tape. This step was important to make sure the 9 Pellon pieces will fit and stay up.
  


The next step was to make patterns for the fabric that will cover the outside frame. I can't remember the last time I made a pattern. Believe me, it took a few tries to get the patterns correct. There are 3 patterns: one for the short sides of the frame, one for the longer sides of the frame and one for area that the protruding sections are set into. The last pattern didn't survive so I don't have an image of it to share. That pattern was 3" x 5" rectangle. Here are the 2 side patterns:




After I glued all the fabric in place, I loosely stitched all the protruding sections with Valdani Inc.  #133 Christmas Red thread.

For the most part, I like the way "Connected by Threads" sample tuned out. The only thing I might do differently is to shorten the protruding section a bit for stability.


Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment